Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Snow Day

A snow storm took our visit to the gym hostage today.  We didn't let the day go to waste though, because we did some of our antagonists and core conditioning.  As I paused between planks, though, I thought about the cold.  

People's perception of what is cold is relative.  I have a co-worker who never wears a winter coat, and he's a pretty skinny guy too.  I, however, always bundle up too much for the weather.  Even when it was 104 degrees in the Red River Gorge last Summer, I had a hoodie tucked in my day-pack - just in case (it's my inner-Minnesotan).  And, to think that people enjoy climbing in the cold astonishes me.  If only I were so bold.  Strangely, I've gotten fairly self-aware of my need for warmth, and have actually gone as far as challenging myself to wear fewer layers outdoors.  Why? Because I read both parts of the article The Eiger Contradiction, of course.  

"Something defying all description lies locked in that hushed atmphitheater.  Does that concave face
embrace the dimensions of death itself; of the negation of everything?" - Kurt Diemberger,1959
 (Alpinist 41, 47) [Image source: wikimediafoundation.org]


The article appeared in the last two issues of Alpinist magazine (40 & 41), and outlines the history of ascents made on the Eiger.  Everyone knows that you can't think about the Eiger without also thinking about cold, frostbite, and death.  I mean, talk about cold being relative.  Alpinists who were first ascending the mountain didn't have North Face thermal layers with super insulation or electric socks.  Some of these guys had to loosen knots with their teeth as they hung suspended in the middle of a running-belay with an abyss below because their partners died and their hands were too frostbitten to use. These climbers could probably walk around Chicago on a windy February day with a tank top on.


Ludwig Vörg, one of the first to climb the "unclimbable" North Face, takes a seat on the Eiger 
and adjusts his stokings (1937). [Image source: alpentoppen.be]

So, let the stories of these alpinists be our battle cry.  Let's not allow the snow or the cold take our day hostage.  Do some mind-over-matter, Chicago, and get outside - but don't forget to break early when you're driving.

-Matt


2 comments:

  1. Man, I love the film based on the "North Face" events. Check it out if you get a chance. It's got Nazi's, ice climbing, and foxy alpine climbing vixens!

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent read is The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer, one of the group of 4 who made the first ascent of the north face of the Eiger. It's an excellent (if old fashioned) translation from german but holds and enthralls the reader so that you can imagine you are with them.

    ReplyDelete